Holding your own Wacky Races
• Appoint marshals (for measuring time with a stopwatch and distance with a measure) and a judge (who has the final decision)
• Decide how pupils are going to vote for the wackiest/ most creative vehicle (it could be a show of hands or a secret ballot)
• Set up the race track
• Give each vehicle a race number or team name
• Make rosettes or medals for the winners and runners up
• You may choose to video the race in case there is a photo finish!
Ask a group of children to make medals for the winners using air-drying clay, metallic paint or foil and ribbons.
Ask a group of children to design certificates for participants using a design package on a computer.
Ask a group of children to report on the race as if they were a sports journalist for a local newspaper, television or radio station.