From story
The History of Temple Newsam
This resource is licensed under Creative Commons BY-NC-ND

Illustration of Temple Newsam Picture Gallery

The Temple Newsam ‘Picture Gallery’, painted by Emily Charlotte Wood in 1860-1861.

Emily Meynall Ingram inherited Temple Newsam Estate in 1871 when she became a widow. She greatly developed the house. In 1894 she held a dinner reception in the great Picture Gallery for the visit of the Duke and Duchess of York. Electricity was installed just for the evening!

In her later years Emily’s health suffered and she became blind. The gallery was used as a flat. She worshiped in the chapel, located at the far end and slept in her bedroom, situated at the opposite end. She spent the day in the gallery, in front of the fires.

 

Image: © Leeds Museums and Galleries

Donated by 1st Earl of Halifax