Resource created by the National Civil War Centre
- KS3 History: Development of church, state, and society in Britain (1509 – 1745): causes and events of the civil wars, the Interregnum, and the Restoration.
- KS4 History: Thematic Early Modern British history
- Learn to construct informed responses that involve thoughtful selection and organisation of relevant historical information
- Understand how our knowledge of the past is constructed from a range of sources.
A series of downloadable resources are available to accompany each of the activities below (see 'Resources' section)
3-Shorter lesson activities
- 3.2 Write Like a Spy
Write messages in code and learn how to keep them safe with paper locks
- 3.3 Civil War Spies Boardgame
Choose your spy and their equipment. Can you reach your destination safely?
- 3.4 Spy Identity Generator
Become cavalry commanders and find out how the war was fought.
Longer 1-2 lesson activities
- 3.5 Royal Rescue
Recruit a spy ring and try to break the King out of prison.
- 3.6 Parliamentarian Postmaster
Open letters in your post bag. Can you spot the ones sent by Royalist spies?