Resource created by Calderdale Museums: Bankfield Museum.
- KS2 History: Theme extending knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 English: Planning, drafting and writing; Reading aloud; Listening; Evaluating and debating
- KS2 PSHE: Relationships, Rights, Responsibilities, Community and Global Citizenship
- KS2 Citizenship
- SMSC: British Values
- Using the information from the resource create a letter from one of the criminals that are facing the gibbet next market day. Why did you steal what you did?
- Design a Wanted poster for the Runaway Man.
- In your class split into 2 groups those for the Gibbet and those against. Debate as if it is 1650, should the Gibbet stay or go?
- Research other crimes and punishments from other periods of time, such as the Anglo Saxons, Romans and the Tudors.
- Invite a Police officer into your school to find out more about the roles of the police today, how they help us and what your rights are as a citizen.
- Research other punishments used in Britain in the past, should any of them come back?
- What range of punishments do we use in Britain today?
Are they effective?