This resource will help pupils discover the contrasting living conditions between 1950s and modern Britain. It includes film footage from the Yorkshire Film Archive, images, worksheets, activity ideas, pupil's responses and a quiz.
- KS2 Citizenship - Transition - Community; Living in a diverse world - Culture
- KS2 History - Life in Britain Since 1930 - Home Life; Local Study - Life in the Past
- Knowledge of life in the 1950s and activities people enjoyed
- Understanding of the differences between modern and post-war Britain
- Skills to draw on primary resources to learn about the past
Over a period of six weeks, Yorkshire Film Archive and Leeds Industrial Museum worked with pupils from St Bart's Primary School in Armley to investigate how the people of Leeds would have lived in the 1950s. During the workshops the children used original documents, photos, film resources and interviews to discover the similarities and differences between life in the 1950s and the present day.