Resource created by: Dales Countryside Museum
This resource offers an in-depth exploration of the social, economic and architectural history of lead mining in the Yorkshire Dales. Lead mining was a major industry in the Northern Pennines from 1650 to 1900 and has a much longer history, dating back to Roman times.
- KS3 History: Challenges for Britain, Europeand the wider world: 1901 to the present day
- KS3 History: Ideas, political power, industry, and empire: Britain, 1745-1901
- KS2 Geography: Locational knowledge: naming and locating counties and land-use patterns
- KS2 Geography: Human geography: types of settlement and land use, economic activity, distribution of natural resources including energy, food, minerals and water
- KS3 Geography: Human geography: population and urbanisation, economic activity, use of natural resources
Download the Suggested Activities PDF for the following:
This involves looking at objects and describing what can be seen and deduced about them, their age and their use. This is followed by use of census materials to identify the owner of the artefacts.
Considering the effects of child labour in Victorian times.