This resource uses personal stories and archive photographs to explore how and why Polish people have settled in Britain since the Second World War.
- KS2-3 History: Study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: Challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to the present day.
KS3 Geography: Human geography
KS3 Citizenship: To be able to debate political questions.
- KS4 Citizenship: Diverse national, regional, religious and ethnic identities in the UK and the need for mutual respect and understanding.
This resource supports key processes of historical enquiry and interpretation and will enable students to:
- Understand how war and conflict impact on people’s lives
- Use oral testimony and archive photographs as sources of historical information
- Gain insight into the reasons behind migration and emigration
- Deepen their understanding of how it feels to come to live in a foreign country
- Become familiar with the backgrounds and concerns of Polish people living in Britain
This Learning Journey contains first-hand accounts of traumatic events during World War Two which some people may find distressing. Please make sure you are familiar with the contents of the worksheets before you use them with a class.