Resource created by Calderdale Museums.
- KS2 History: Theme extending knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 English: Planning, drafting and writing; Reading aloud; Listening; Evaluating and debating
- KS2 PSHE: Relationships, Rights, Responsibilities, Community and Global Citizenship
- Using the information from the resource write a newspaper report about the murder of William Deighton.
- Design a Wanted poster for the Cragg Vale Coiners.
- In your class recreate a trial of the Cragg Vale Coiners. Will your jury show them mercy or go with the original verdict?
- Make your own play about the Cragg Vale Coiners. You could use the Cragg Vale Coiners Who's Who to help.
- Research other crimes and punishments from other periods of time, such as the Anglo Saxons, the Tudors. Look at the information about the Halifax Gibbet.
- Using the Activity sheet identify who is doing what in the picture as Coiners.
The Cragg Vale coiners were in desperate economic circumstances when they decided to start counterfeiting coins.
- Why did they feel they had to do what they did?
- Do you think there are situations where it is ok to break the law, like the coiners did?
- Look at the punishments they received, were they too harsh, or were they justified?
- How do we support people today who may be struggling with money and looking after their family?
- How do we try and stop counterfeiting today?